Double Bass players use either a “French” or “German” bow to produce an arco sound.
Here are a few tips and exercises I use with my students about practicing with a French Bow:
1. Keep your fingers gently curved over the bow
2. The thumb is positioned at a 45 degree angle
3. Keep an equal grip with all five fingers
Exercise 1: Three Fingers Method
With a slow bow speed, play long tones with the “3” methods below, while keeping a relaxed grip with only 3 fingers.
Hold the bow with only…
- Thumb, Index & Middle fingers
- Thumb, Index & Ring fingers
- Thumb, Index & Pinky fingers
Outcome = Better Control of Tip #3 and Dexterity
Continue reading How to Play a “French” Double Bass Bow (Part 1)